Why do you need a Rug Pad?
A frequently asked question while buying a rug is “Do I need a rug pad?”, well the answer is “definitely yes”. A rug pad acts as a sticky buffer for the floor and the rug. It helps in providing a foundation for your rug as it reduces wear and prevent holes and fraying around the edges.
There are many advantages of a rug pad, read on to know more.
• Rug Pads Prevent Slipping: A rug pad helps in keeping your area rug lying flat and in place. It skillfully acts a grip and holds your rug in place and prevents it from slipping. It also keeps your rug from developing wrinkles which can be a safety hazard for slipping, tripping or falling. A rug pad is designed in such a way that its surface will stick to both the floor and the rug. This is important if you are placing your rug on a hard/slick surface such as tiles or hardwood. A rug pad anchors your rug to the floor and stops it from moving, thus preventing any slip ups.
• Rug Pads Provide Floor Protection: To increase the life span of your floor, a rug pad is necessary as it provides a buffer between floor and rugs, thus increasing your floor’s lifespan. Rugs backing occasionally can be coarse which can result in scuffs and abrasions on a hardwood and other types of hard floor surfaces, a rug pad successfully helps in preventing that. A rug pad will also prevent dirt and other debris from getting trapped underneath rugs and grounds into the floor from foot traffic.
• Rug Pads increase durability of Rugs: A decent rug pad assist you to safeguard your rugs from wear and tear by absorbing bulk of the effect of foot traffic. The rug pad is intended to compress and rebound back which takes the tension off of the rug fibers. Without a rug pad to act as a shock absorber, the rug fibers will be trampled, and the rug will display warnings of wear much earlier than it would with a rug pad. Rug pads help in increasing the life span of your rug by giving it protection from shifting or rubbing against the bottom which causes a lot of friction and hence can prematurely age your rug.
• Rug Pads provide Cushion and Soundproofing: Rug pads help in providing a more cushioned walking surface as well as provide noise absorption. Thick rug pads placed under area rugs adds extra cushioning and makes your rug feel more luxurious to walk or sit. This densely cushioned layer also acts as a sound barrier, great for multistory homes or apartments and improves indoor acoustics.
• Rug Pads facilitate Airflow: When you use a rug pad underneath your rug, it allows floor a room to breathe and air to freely circulate under your rug. With sufficient air circulation mold, mildew and other harmful bacteria can breed. If this is left unchecked, mold and bacteria can cause damage to the floor such as discoloration or even rotting.
• Rug Pads helps in maintaining cleanliness: Rug pads are a must because they have ridges or bumps that helps in trapping dirt particles which can become embedded in your rug. These bumps and ridges in the rug allows the air to flow between your rug and the floor, which can help your immensely when your are vacuuming your rug. Rug pads also help in preventing wet spills from seeping from the rug to the floor.
The benefits of rug pads are numerous. Make sure you get the most out of your rug by utilizing a suitable pad beneath it.